Sunday 6 May 2007

Jiminy Cricut

Following an operation on my arm the previous loves of my life - Quickutz & Sizzix - were sadly relegated to gather dust in the cupboard. So I was in heaven when the new Cricut arrived. When I first got this lovely little machine I was really impressed with the speed & ease that I could cut titles, phrases & shapes.
I've never been a patient person & to be honest instruction manuals get shoved to one side in the excitement of having something new to play with. However, when I was asked to do a bit for the blog I thought I'd better get the book out & have a quick look. Oh my word! I thought this machine was good but how I underestimated it!
I spent yesterday evening on a 'getting to know you session' & learnt loads more about the little fella.
For those of you who haven't played with one of these yet let me explain -

The Cricut machine comes with one cartridge - George & Basic Shapes. This gives you numbers 0 - 9, uppercase letters A - Z, punctuation, 30 different shapes ranging from squares, circles & triangles to flowers, balloons & speech bubbles & a selection of phrases all of which can be cut in any size from a tiny 1" to a huge 5 1/2".



There are also 6 'creative features' that let you transform each character 6 different ways - that's an awful lot of characters from just one cartridge. These letters were cut using the basic letter shape plus the shadow feature.

There is an evergrowing list of cartridges available featuring fonts, shapes or a combination of both. At approximately £50 each they are expensive but when you think of the variations you can cut with each one - well over 200 in each size! - I think they are pretty good value.

Two of my favourite cartridges are Tags, Bags & Boxes & Animal Kingdom. This little gift bag was made using the Tags, Bags & Boxes. It only took a few minutes to make & would be perfect for a small gift like a voucher or a piece of jewellery.

The bookmark was made using the Animal Kingdom cartridge & again only took a few minutes which is probably just as well as my children now want bookmarks with a whole zoo on them! I really can't make up my mind which is my favourite font as they are all really lovely.

I could wax lyrical for pages about the the wonders of the Cricut but if you get chance to play with one I'm sure you'll be impressed.







6 comments:

Miss Sarah Jane said...

Now all I need is enough money to buy one! LOL.

Awesome and informative post. That bookmark is fantastic! I'm not surprised your children want a whole zoo!! haha.

Anonymous said...

Your enthusiasm really comes across,Angie. I love the little bag!

Anonymous said...

Where do I sign?

Anonymous said...

OOOh I want one of these! It is awesome. I love the book mark and the little bag, gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I want one too now! The bookmark is fabby.

Tessab said...

I do have the cricut, but if I didnt, I would most certainly have been putting in my order. I love the book mark. :)