Wednesday 23 May 2007

Look after those breasts!

Last week I altered a bra. Not one that didn’t fit me any more, of course, but I have a friend, Sian, who took part in the London Moon Walk to raise money for research into something dear to every woman’s heart, breast cancer. This was a 26 mile walk through the London night that began at Hyde Park and finished, for Sian, 8 hours and 32minutes later, to raise awareness of this awful disease. Thousands of women (and some men too I’m pleased to say) took part and the majority proudly sported a bra, on show, to anyone who cared to look!

A group of us had been out for the evening a few days previously and the wine was flowing as usual, when the conversation got around to Sian’s Moon Walk. I got to thinking, ‘Well, I have all that stash at home, I’m sure I could come up with something,’ and heard myself volunteering to decorate her, as yet, plain bra. Somehow I also apparently offered my house as the venue for an Anne Summers party, but that’s another story!

She dropped the bra off on Thursday evening and I got to work straight away. I pulled out an old scarf I’d been saving for that 'certain' layout, some tasselled edging a friend had given me, a length of pretty pink fibre from a swap, a huge silk rose and some Prima flowers. By the end of the evening it wasn’t looking too bad and by Friday it was complete with the finishing touch – four strategically placed flowers on the cups. Just to stop it looking too bare, you understand! I handstitched everything - well, it's one thing to pin items to a layout but brads pinning your bra to your skin? I don't think so. ( Sorry for the poor photo by the way - it was taken in haste. )


Here is Sian modelling it on the Saturday morning of the walk. She told me afterwards that she braved the first few hours without the t-shirt but by midnight it grew too cold and she was glad to put on something warmer. I don’t blame her.

There is a more serious side to this blog entry as well. One of my best friends died of undetected breast cancer nearly 3 years ago now. One minute we were happily celebrating her 50th birthday and two months later she was disabled because it had spread to the base of her brain. Paula died 5 long years later and I was privileged to be with her on the night she died. I wouldn’t wish her end on anyone. She was a funny, loud, vibrant lady and we, her friends, miss her dearly. Please remember to check yourself regularly and, please, give our link on here a click every day. You’ll find it on the right hand side of this page, it won't take more than a couple of seconds, it won’t cost you a penny and it may well help to save someone’s life – just as Sian hopes her walk in her underwear has done.

9 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

A wonderfully silly way to support such a great cause. xxx

Miss Sarah Jane said...

Wow, that is an awesome creation, Gilly! I can see why she was proud to wear it!!. Some very wise words also!

Cath said...

What a great bra, and a fantastic thing to take part in, its a long way! Its something else that one day I'd like to take part in :)

Anonymous said...

Great bra Gilly and a fabulous way of raising awareness and funds.

Alison said...

That is a very kind thing you did for Sian, Gilly for a wonderful cause - and a great first blog entry, too.

Tessab said...

A fabulous creation for a very worthy cause. xxx

Anonymous said...

That Bra looks FAB! Your friend Sian was also very brave to go without the shirt! What a great cause!

ALLWENEEDISLOVE said...

fabulous bra! even more fabulous cause!!

please come and take a look with absolutely everyone you love at our project.

with everyone's talents, emotions and fun we want
a) make a world record attempt
b) make lots of money for charity
c) create a warm fuzzy feeling by doing something so fun and simple..

we believe that:
ALL WE NEED IS LOVE

Anonymous said...

Gilly that's bought tears to my eyes. Beautifully written and a fab bra!! You could have used one of mine - she could have set up camp in it half way thru!! xxxx

Kim