Wednesday 2 May 2007

Dry and Sticky ...



So – what did you think this article was going to be about? As scrapbookers or crafters in general, we often face the same dilemma – what kind of adhesive do we use, and for which purpose? Hopefully this article will prove useful to people who may have puzzled over glues.

I must own at least 20 different adhesives, in both dry and wet format – each has its own specific purpose. I have built up a preference for adhesives over the three years I’ve been scrapbooking and tend to be loyal to a product once it is tried and tested. Naturally, other people have different preferences – but the following recommendations are what I have found works for me personally.

In the past week, I have been in the “scrapbooking zone” as I have completed numerous different layouts and tag books. This layout, completed on Friday night, was done for my friend Judith. I was very happy to do her a page for her parents album – and being 1947, decided on a heritage theme. I pulled the green ribbon, the cream and the stretchy purple lace from my stash as being the most suitable for a heritage layout. But what an awful colour combination! I tied the colours in by using that modern brown and pink striped ribbon at the bottom, and then the various flowers to give a sense of fluidity but unity to the page – the flowers form anchors for the eye. The dark green brads in the flowers help to link that dark green colour back in.



To adhere paper or card, my paper and card adhesive runner of choice is Hermafix repositionable. Being a “go with the flow” scrapper, I often have to move things about on a page, and with Herma, I can do just that. The repo will go permanent eventually and its best feature is you can remove unwanted adhesive with a concrete rubber or a swipe of your finger. Be careful with photo surfaces, however. As I am a mucky pup, I am always doing this! For stronger fixes, I use Hermafix permanent – it is very sticky and gluggy. I have learnt over the years you must keep each runner separate – the permanent will glug up your repo dispenser in a flash!

I printed the snippets of information Judith had given me onto patterned paper that was in my scraps bag – my scraps are sorted into different colours, and live in a 12 x 12 Artbin. This is the place I go to first, when die-cutting or only wanting little pieces of paper or card.

To stick ribbon onto a page, I use a thin crystal double sided tape – it is very nearly transparent, and I find this works pretty effectively with even organza. I added ribbon borders to the text boxes to give them a more finished look – even though some of these finishes weren’t exactly straight. Never mind – it is a hand crafted piece after all – and don’t sweat the small stuff, is my motto! On the layout, I mitred each corner of the various ribbons – which gives a neater effect, albeit a fiddly process. I bought these cream flowers ages ago, which, as they are mottled in colour, are perfect for heritage layouts.

The flowers were very quickly adhered to the page with mini glue dots – I had these lying in my stash, and were just rediscovered over the weekend. Since that time, I’ve used half a roll! They are a strong, dry adhesive – not easily repositionable – but they work wonderfully well for sticking flowers to a page. They also worked a treat when adding the heart charm to the flower. The Angel Kisses Old Pink Daisies
add a touch of brightness into the page.

The “treasure” postage stamp was raised from the page with 3d foam squares - which add shadow and thus provide depth and dimension.
Some pearl brads I’ve had in my stash for ages – and voilá – the layout is finished. Photographed late at night, and posted the next morning.

I tend to reserve double sided tape for making cards, unless I am sure it is acid free. Most double sided tape is not. When I know it is, DST is very useful in minibooks and to effectively cover surfaces with paper or card securely. DST is brilliant – adhere it right to the straight edge and now that they are easy tear, you can rip and go with ease!

For sticking intricate, small details to the page, like die-cut letters, the Zyron 150 is brilliant, because you insert the die-cuts into the “feeder” and they come out sandwiched between the adhesive and the fixer sheet. Peel back the sheet, lift with tweezers and go – perfect for straight positioning and especially for keeping all your letters secure until you can finish the page.

Oh – and for sticking vellum – though you have to give it some welly! – I use Wackytac Vellum adhesive. It really does work, and is a fairly recent discovery of mine.




I completed "Galeries Lafayette" during the UKS Cybercrop as a class by Shimelle Laine. After Margot's post last week about the Queen & Co felt ribbon, here it is in action!


I have used the tiniest bit of green on each layout - it is luscious!


"My hands are the heart of my creativity" was a late addition to Kirsty Wiseman's "Scrap your Hands" challenge. I found some time last minute, and this is what I came up with. I love the creative expression of creating a crazy, freestyle layout - it is so much fun!


In both cases, the felt ribbon was attached with - you guessed it! Mini glue dots! As were the myriad of buttons used here. Open the roll, place the button on the glue dot, and stick the sucker to the page - done!

And so am I for this week - finally, you say. Next week - we'll be getting wet and sticky! In the meantime, happy scrapping!

Ali xx :)


3 comments:

Jillybean said...

Very informative piece Ali. I love the 6mm double sided tape by Woodware and go through rolls of it. Not a great fan of glue dots as they tend to stick to me and not the page - but they have a place in my scrapbooking on certain projects.
I also find the invidots for velllum a great product too.

oops sorry this is turning into a slaes pitch lol

Anonymous said...

Beautiful LO's there Ali. I have a lot of trouble with glue dots, I end up with them stuck to me also. It is great seeing all the wonderfully detailed info on here.

Anonymous said...

I wasnt aware that DST wasnt acid free so I will be a little less freer with its use in future, thank you for that titbit Alison. Glue dots have a habit of finding themselves attached to me as well. LOL