Sunday 29 April 2007

Llandrindod Wells - faded elegance

When we moved to Mid-Wales it was not only the beauty of the surrounding countryside that attracted us to the area but also the unexpected architecture of Llandrindod Wells. As you drive through this Spa-town the eye is drawn by a succession of multi-storeyed buildings with grand entrances, turrets, towers, tall windows, decorative ironwork and weather-vanes.
Postcard from 1913.

The town was a Victorian creation and it grew around the fashionable obsession with health spas and taking the water. The railway brought people to the area in their thousands and as a result Llandrindod Wells effectively became a town of hotels.

Rock Park became the main centre after mineral springs were discovered there, one of them being the Chalybeate Spring which remains today. Apparently the health-restoring waters had a very strong purgative effect and I can only wonder quite why the Victorians would queue up to drink it on a daily basis!
Sadly, this elegant town is today more like a distressed gentlewoman. Many of the hotels are gone, some are in a sad state of repair and others are in use as council buildings. The good news is that refurbishment is under way for some and tourism is once again restoring pride in the town's eccentric splendour.


Postcard from 1917



I have some postcards of the town and wanted to get some up-to-date images of the same scenes. This proved trickier than I thought, as trees have grown up since the originals were taken and I couldn't get the same elevated viewpoint. I hope you can get some idea of the 'then and now' though!
Postcard from 1908. >>>

5 comments:

Jillybean said...

I do think that some changes are not for the better. I love these old photos and postcards

Anonymous said...

I love old Victorian towns and wish there was some way to preserve the buildings in their 'shabby-chic-ness' rather than have them cleaned and smartened up. Old and modern pictures are always interesting imho and I really love the details shots. Something I try to do too.

Gilly said...

These are lovely images on the old cards. Funny thing - 21 years ago I went to Wales on a horse riding holiday and the centre was only a few miles from where you live, Madge. If only we'd known!!

Anonymous said...

I love old pictures. These are great, it is amazing though that there is still something of the old left. Shame everything has to be smartened up as Mrs Sweetie said.

Anonymous said...

Having grown up in Llandrindod and return regularly to see existing family ;I love the unique 'faded elegance' as you described it. I know it probably doesn't have the raving night-life for some,but I am costantly reminded on return of its outstanding beauty and charm and I for one am so glad I grew up here!