Thursday 19 April 2007

Twinkling H2Os


I adore using paints of all types and I suppose I've tried them all - even oil paints. However a new type of watercolour paint hit the market a couple of years ago and when a friend gave me some as a birthday gift it was love at first sight.
Twinkling H2Os. A quirky name, but very apt. These tiny pots of irridescent watercolours are like shimmering jewels and actually ought to be edible they look so good.

You need to add a little water to the pot by spritzing or with a loaded brush, then wait a few minutes for the paint to soften into a creamy consistency. When the paint dries out again the surface often has fascinating air-bubbles - this is normal. It can be used on a variety of surfaces - I've even used it on shrink plastic. It's a shame that photos don't show up the rich shimmer. This is a painted ATC :-


Many of us have suffered from 'blank page syndrome' when starting a journal. I find it useful to brush H2Os onto my pages before doing any work on them and that way I'm less inhibited about doing any real work. The creamy consistency means you're less likely to warp the paper with too much water and the lush colours really make the pages sing. This is a page from a collaborative journal on which I used this technique. The subject was metals and the background paints were in shades of copper, bronze and gold.


On black card or paper the irridescence really sings and the new generation of chipboard shapes would make the perfect canvas. Highly recommended.

11 comments:

Cath said...

I've always fancied them, but never really know what I'd do with them! Thanks for the insite and the I love the art work you've created with them!

LME said...

The colours look great. I must dig mine out and have a go.

Alison said...

Great start, Madge - informative, and interesting! I love the photo of those H20's!

Miss Sarah Jane said...

I was given some of these at Christmas and I love them!! Gorgeous ATC and journal entry.

Anonymous said...

Would love to see this irl.

Tessab said...

Beautiful ATC and Journal page. I will definitely be giving these a try :)

Anonymous said...

That looks so good, Madge. These are definitely worth considering adding to my stash. Uh oh!

GlitteryKatie said...

Fab colours!!! So perty :O)

Kim Sonksen said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I am loving it and I am so glad someone told me how to use H2O's!

Anonymous said...

Super article and gorgeous work, I love my H2O's, could not be without them now :D

Anonymous said...

I love these colours. I will have to see if we have them here. They look so pretty!